Wednesday, April 26, 2006

And the winner is ...

Play a piece of music, and it's likely someone won't like it. Over 5,800 people responded to a CNN.com poll asking them to name the worst song of all time. Here are the winners ... er ... losers:

5. "Seasons in the Sun," Terry Jacks (No. 1 for three weeks, 1974). He should use sunscreen.

4. "I've Never Been to Me," Charlene (No. 3, 1982). I've been to me quite a few times, but I always have a two hour layover in Atlanta.

3. "You Light Up My Life," Debby Boone (No. 1 for 10 weeks, 1977). The Metallica version rocks.

2. "Muskrat Love," The Captain and Tennille (No. 4, 1976). I don't think that guy is a real Captain.

And the No. 1 worst song as voted on by CNN.com users:

1. "(You're) Having My Baby," Paul Anka (No. 1 for three weeks, 1974). This song was originally called "Yo My Baby Momma."

Other songs with sizable constituencies -- at least 1 percent of the vote -- included:

Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods' "Billy, Don't Be a Hero." Billy! Don't go. Please! I'm begging you!

Paper Lace's "The Night Chicago Died." Paper Lace? Not the most masculine name for a band.

Starship's "We Built This City." Grace Slick probably has no idea she recorded this song.

Richard Harris' "MacArthur Park." Hey, has anybody seen my cake? It looks like it's gonna rain.

Morris Albert's "Feelings." Wo, wo, wo, feelings. Wo, wo wo. They don't write lyrics like that anymore.

Starland Vocal Band's "Afternoon Delight." A tribute to Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinski.

The Archies' "Sugar, Sugar." Betty or Veronica? For me, it's Veronica.

Billy Ray Cyrus' "Achy Breaky Heart." I grew up in the South and I hate this song.

Maria Muldaur's "Midnight at the Oasis." Who let's their camel stay up until midnight? That's very irresponsible.

America's "A Horse with No Name." Run like the wind ... uh ... you horse.

Ohio Express' "Yummy Yummy Yummy." I got love in my tummy ... or it may be excess stomach acid.

Don McLean's "American Pie." This is the longest song ever recorded. It lasts approximately 4 hours and 38 minutes.

Los Del Rio's "The Macarena." Oh, no. Now I can't get this stupid song out of my head.

My choice for worst song ever is "Roses" by Outkast. Here are some of the lyrics ...

I know you'd like to thank your s*** don't stank
But lean a little bit closer
See that roses really smell like poo poo poo
Yeah, roses really smell like poo poo poo

I rest my case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home